Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, April 13, 2007

Turning Twenty Seven

When I returned to work this week, after a blissful trip to my l'il sister's at Hyderabad, I heard many a ‘what-i-did-over-the-long-weekend’ conversations in the elevator.

So, what did I do?

I turned 27.

As a child, my birthday was always the best day of the year. That was the day when mom would make my favourite Mysore Pak. Doting aunts and uncles would arrive to wish their neice. It’s another matter that the 50 bucks they would gift interested the neice way more than the wish! And for once, dad was not allowed to yell at me for anything goofy I did that day.
The only thing that peeved me was the date, that fell during the summer break in school. I could never be the gleaming kid in her brand new dress, distributing Nutrine pineapple flavored toffees to her class, while they sang the birthday song in unison. Funny how I was relieved about the exact same thing ,no-school-on-birthday when I got to high school though!

But then, the picture is not quite the same, when you are older, is it?

“27?? Oh you don’t look that old” said my visibly surprised co-worker, after she’d wished me.

And I thought about the “that” in her sentence. Should I be smiling about the fact that there are people who think I look younger than I am, or should I read into the way she stretched it making it sound more like a “thaaaat” which makes 27 borderline old-age?!

And then there’s my really really concerned aunt.

27?? And you still don’t have a baby? Don’t you realize time is ticking away? Atleast, give me the good news by your next birthday!”

She's set me on a race against time now. Timed by not just one, but two clocks- biological and regular.Sheesh.

If that wasn’t enough, I recently saw this mentioned in a skin care article in my favourite mag, Cosmopolitan. They’d sectioned the advice by age group and of course, I had to look in the (26-30) age group.

“We hate to break the news to you. But your skin is no longer going to be as naturally radiant as it used to be when you were younger.”

Et tu Cosmo? Life can suddenly get so cruel once you fall outside the (21-25) bracket . Sigh.

But what the heck? Birthdays are for celebrating right?

It was the first birthday I spent with dad, l'il sister,brother-in-law and G, together.
Li'l sister and BIL played perfect hosts when they took us out for a midnight buffet(!), a first for me. I did have my suspicions about whether this was the restaurant's ploy to get rid of leftover food, but I was soon proved wrong when we were asked to wait for 20 minutes for a table when we arrived at the place at about 12:15 am and the food turned out absolutely delicious!

While at the buffet, we did click a few snaps. But here's the one that takes the cake, well, literally!

Courtesy the worst photographer in the world - my sister. So much for the enthu G was posing with, for this snap! :)

And in the morning, I woke up to a barrage of phone calls from friends and family. And my Orkut scrapbook, abound with messages from friends near and far. L'il sister and Dad made sure there was abundant supply of Mysore Pak at home. How sweet is that?

And yeah, G's promised an air conditioner(!) for a gift. Considering that he's gonna be sharing the room with me, I am trying hard to ignore any hidden agenda here. And to believe that this is going to be my gift and not ours! :)

Oprah couldn't have said it better when she said this.

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. "

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that I took 3 shots to get to atleast this pic.

The other ones had just one hand or just G and half your face etc.

Anyway, realised that I didnt get you any gift :( Will bring along something nice the next time I show up at Blore

Anonymous said...

And Smi - please make up your mind if you want to be an anonymous blogger or not. Freely distributing pics of yourself and calling this an anon blog!!!

Smi said...

@anutthara
Don't bother about a gift! U've already done enough by treating me to a wonderful dinner at midnight!

@anutthara
A pic where one can hardly recognize me (thanks to your extraordinary camera work) doesn't hurt, does it? ;-)

Deeps said...

Belated wishes on your birthday :). Looks like you had lots of fun :).

Shyam said...

belated wishes!!!!!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Smi,
Belated happy b'day and boy am I jealous or what...you are just 27!?!...wait till you hit 30 and lemme tell ya it is not borderline old -age!

Smi said...

@deeps
Thank you!:) It was a fun-filled day, thanks to my family!

@shyam
Thanks sir!:)So back from your blogging break?

@orchid
Thanks for the wishes!:) And considering I ain't too far away from 30, I think I should take enjoy being 27 as long as it lasts!:)

Unknown said...

good one..midnight buffet - real nice way to celebrate your birthday..and no words about the photo :-)

Itchingtowrite said...

happy b'day. and which place is the mid night buffet happening?

Smi said...

@ITW
Thank you!:) The place is in Hyderabad and is called Ohri's. I think the locality is Banjara Hills.

PizzaDude said...

Belated birthday wishes!!

How do we know said...

Happy Birthday!!

Smi said...

@pizzadude
Thanks for the wishes, dude!:)

@how do we know
Thank you very much!:)

Swetha Sanghavi said...

The only thing i can say here is "geeks....I wish i had a sister Mann!!!!"

Lavs said...

I totally identify with this part-------“27?? And you still don’t have a baby? Don’t you realize time is ticking away? Atleast, give me the good news by your next birthday!”

I am sick and tired of my aunties and uncles telling me this. Sometimes, they want to know only abt this and nothing else.....