Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 22, 2007

From the other side of the table

“Fresher recruitment drive on Sunday. Calling interviewers for tech. panel”
When I saw this e-mail from HR, I went ‘Yeah right! Ruin a weekend over recruitment? More so, a long weekend? Bah!” Not that I’d planned a vacay to Goa or something, but the “Bah!” was still the loudest word in that sentence I said in my head.

Now, hitting the delete button on any group mail from HR is almost a reflex action for me. They range from stuff on Creative Workspace awards to lectures from the resident doc on back pain! Or about sports club meetings and Women’s day celebrations in the company. Most of which, never holds my interest beyond the first few lines anyway.
I know what u’re thinking. No No, I ain’t the nerdy types who sits and stares at the monitor all day long, while getting up from the chair only to take bathroom breaks. But I ain’t exactly an enthu cutlet either !

So, hit the delete button I did. And the pop-up message that followed did its usual KBC on me– “Are you sure?” it asked .
That was when the visions of my annual goal-sheet crossed my mind. That little one page document which decides my performance rating which in turn decides my salary thru the year which in turn decides how much will be left after my EMI eats up a sizeable chunk which in turn decides how much will go into the savings for my dream vacation which in turn decides how much I get to splurge on completely unnecessary clothes and shoes which in turn…whoa!

One of the things that your manager always does in my company is to set a goal about having contributed in “outside the call of duty” activities like participation in cultural activities or recruitment. Now, singing and dancing is not exactly my cup of tea, so recruitment was a lot more do-able.

And what’s never happened so far with a HR group mail happened. I hit the reply button.

On Sunday, as I stepped into the interview venue a little late , I was kinda overwhelmed by the huge crowd of software wannabes gathered outside. But then, I was relieved, knowing I ain’t one of them anymore. The view from the “other side” was kinda nice. No butterflies in the stomach , No last minute resume reviewing, No last minute mugging, No running to every person that got interviewed before you with a “What’d they ask? What’d they ask?” as soon as he steps out of the door!
All of ‘em freshies looked a lil too preoccupied with themselves doing one or all of the above , until I fished out my company id card from my bag and wore it. That was it. The banter suddenly died down and I was greeted with admiring glances and smiley “Hello” s !
I felt like this ‘khadoos’ professor walking into a noisy classroom.
Wow! And I always thought of my id card as no better than a glorified leash?

I was initially asked to form a panel with one another guy (let’s call him A). Some small talk with this guy, and I discovered we both had worked on similar technologies. So, that meant we couldn’t get away asking actually dumb questions, but still making ‘em sound fancy to each other!

Excerpts.

First guy walks in nervously
Freshie – “Good afternoon sir, Good afternoon ma’am”
A – "Hey call me A man, don’t have to call me sir"
Me (in my head) – “Yeah right, he’s gonna call u A. The poor guy already looks jittery enough , don’t scare him! “
A – “I see you’ve got C on your resume. Tell me, how would you rate your C programming skills on a scale of 1 to 10?”
Freshie (still jittery) – “Err.. .5 sir.”
A (eyebrows forming high arches) – “Just 5? And you are an electronics engineer??”
Freshie looks heartbroken.
Me (still trying to figure out the connection between electronics engineering and above average C skills) – “Uh okay, can you tell us what a preprocessor directive in C is?”
Freshie answers correctly.
Me (pleased) – “Okay can you tell me when you use arrays and when you use structures?”
Bingo!
By now, freshie has calmed down quite a bit and is taking every question head on.
A - “Okay we are done with ur interview, do you have any questions for us now?”
Freshie – “Yes sir , what is the difference between a CMM level 3 and a level 5 company?”
A (in his head) –“Darn! What did I put myself into??!”
A (aloud) – “Err..Umm..CMM expands to Capability Maturity Model..Err..Umm..”
Me (after having sadistically enjoyed A’s predicament for a while) “CMM is blah blah..”
A (To freshie) – “Yeah Yeah, that’s right, so are you clear?”
Freshie (looking at me) – “Yes sir , thanks for letting me know ma’am”
Freshie smiles at A and me and leaves. I bet he said a silent “Gotcha!” for A while he walked out.

A’s now seething , that he couldn’t get to grill the freshie and worse, got beaten up in the end. He pulls out his cellphone and frantically calls a geeky friend
“Yaar Sachin, C++ mein koi khatarnaak questions bol na,” ( Hey tell me some real tough questions in C++)
He jots down a few keywords like inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation. And I am wondering if he knows anything about those words, other than their spellings?!

Next guy walks in

A (with a know-it-all smile ) - “Okay, u’ve got C++ on ur resume! How do you rate yourself? Can you tell me what polymorphism is?”
Freshie (firmly) - “Yes sir..I rate myself a 9/10” (proceeds to reply with the right answer)
A (cursing himself for giving him an easy one) : “Okay how about encapsulation?”
Freshie (firmly)- “Yes sir..” (proceeds to answer correctly)
A (getting restless) - “Okay how about inheritance?”
Freshie (couldnt have been firmer look)- “Sure sir “ (chimes in with the right answer)
A ( giving up and looking at me) - “ Do you have any questions? Go ahead..”
Me (ROFLing silently in my head )


Another guy

Me (all too enthu to ask first to avoid A’s “how-do-u-rate” charade) - “So what do you know about our company?”
Freshie (sounding like a kindergarten kid rattling off the table of six to a teacher ) - “ ABC is a very big s/w company. It was established on something something..It’s CEO is Mr. So and So. He joined the company on the date something something..”
Me (guffawing with laughter I just couldn’t control) - “Stop Stop, I don’t need an essay on our company.. “
Freshie (in his head) - “Damn! I spent a full half hour mugging up stuff right off their website and she doesn’t even let me finish?!”

After many rounds , I was asked to form a separate “panel” of just myself. I was only too glad to separate from Mr. Smart Aleck.

A “cool dude” walks in. Has 'Attitude' written all over him!

Me - “Could you explain a little about your final year project please?”
Freshie ( as animatedly as he can get) - “You know these switch control boards? They are placed inside every home right? But people don’t know how to use them? So we basically did this project to control them outside the buildings”
Me (after having lost him midway)- “What What What ? And can you give me some technical details?”
Freshie (very matter-of-factly) - “ Well, I didn’t do much in this project, I cant tell you the technical details and stuff..sorry”
Me - ”Okay what was your fave subject in college?”
Freshie (pauses for a long time) - “Hmm..Operations Research”
Me - “So what did u enjoy learning in OR?”
Freshie (very matter-of factly again) - “Oh I don’t remember”
Me (almost said it) - “What the…??”



A real ayyo-paapa looking gal walks in. She’s real nervous and I notice she’s even sweating.

Me (trying to ease her up ) - “Well, don’t be nervous, I won’t ask you very difficult questions”
She (wiping the sweat off her face) - “Ma’am I haven’t eaten since the morning and its 4 now..I am really tired”
Me (to myself) :”Oh No Missy! Don’t u try melting me!”
I swear I almost wanted to recommend her and push her to a restu right away!

Another girl,

Me (at the end of the interview) : “So any questions for me?”
She (very seriously) : “Yes, I am interested in knowing about different products of your company?”
Me (mentioning a software product that we recently sold to a US based bank) “ We have products for all domains – Insurance, Banking ..”
She (still very seriously) “ No, I was asking about salt, cars and soaps etc that your company makes”
Me (aghast, but wondering if she's trying to pull a fast one on me) “ Uh..sure the parent organization has companies that make those, but u are being interviewed for a position in our software services company, not elsewhere”
I thwacked myself for almost recommending her.

And after many many interviews, an eventful day came to an end.

As I headed back home, a thought drifted across my mind.

A vacay in Goa? Wouldn’t have been half as fun!:)

16 comments:

Anutthara Bharadwaj said...

And I thought interviews were meant to be serious business...appalled at A's apparent lack of common sense or any sense remotely technical!

Nice writing - hope to see some more interesting posts - specifically 'bout life outside office :)

BTW, isn't the salt-car-soap combo a giveaway? ;-)

Zenith said...

Hey Smiths...

Young woman to adulthood! that's sounds scary!! I look forward to reading ur posts! the interview one is cool...reminds me of the jittery me when i walked in for my interview in BMS :)

Itchingtowrite said...

grand first post. way to go.. interesting interview

Unknown said...

young womanhood to adulthood..till now i was thinking you are still in our gang :-)..the piece of writing about the interview is real funny! have had an experience with people like A..

Smi said...

@anutthara
Trust me, I was apalled too, but then sadly, there are such people around. Is it a giveaway? Not really, if u don't think hard enuff!

@Zenith
Thank you!Do leave a comment whenever you visit! :)

@itchingtowrite
Thanks so much for your encouraging words!:)

@soumya
I am very much a part of ur gang!:)Just that,its about time I realised vayassagtha idhe antha!:)

Anonymous said...

I wish the bus gods never smile upon you :}
Great reads. Keep writing !!!

Unknown said...

@Anon
Hey thanks for stopping by, and for the encouragement!:)

Shyam said...

Why that concept of addressing "Sir" and "Madam"??? And those 'typical' programming questions are very boring alwaa?

Sumne... "yen vishya hudga? jeevandhalli nin experiences heLu" antha general questions kELi saaku. You might know if that candidate is suitable for the job. Also, these questions will surely have 100 different answers ;) - not boring alwaa? ;)

Smi said...

@Shyam
Addressing seniors at work with a "Sir" is pretty common with freshies, heck, even I did that when I was a nervous freshie!:) Of course, it all looks real funny after u break the ice and settle in!
Oh Yes, the less boring "yen hudga" queries were there too, but I thought I should leave those for the HR guys,since I was on the technical panel!

Smi said...

@Nitin
Bhai, Zara company ka naam sambhalkar use karne ka. Blog ethics ke naam pe, thoda careful rehna maangta hai!

Unknown said...

hey i too think similar to what som thinks... vayass aagidya?????!!!
But ur posts are really good.. the way you write shows how much stories are stuffs like stories you have read.. But i really wonder how come G a.k.a anon is viewing these blogs... is it really G or!!! is it same like orkut?
Thumba aasharya aagathe if it is G :)....

Anonymous said...

biskoot!gr8 writing..keep em coming!!

@anu - not everyone goes through multiple rounds of tech intrvws of the Mixxxxxxx kind...most of us ABC/ex-ABC'ers faced similar ppl on the intrvw panel..and we r not complaining;) how else would we hav gotten an opportunity to go abroad?? and who else wud have hired us when all n sundry were not even honouring their offers during the doom time of 2001?? though the scene is diff now, india still needs tens of 1000s of s/w pros(sic) every yr to serve the goras...tough intrvws for freshers is hardly the solution, and is best left to MNCs and startups..jmho

How do we know said...

ha ha.. that is true.. a vacation in Goa isn't half as much fun!

I was recently on a non techie panel, and am still laughing about what one had to face there.. a little like your attitude guy here..

Anonymous said...

@phoenix - i wasnt suggesting tough technical interviews. i was just amazed at the lackadaisical attitude of the interviewer. Even if I were a fresher coming to this panel and being asked those qs, I would have probably answered those. But 1 year into the company and I would have what a jackass the interviewer was when I figured he asked those qs with the sole intention of asking "khatarnak" qs! (God save him, not to mention his reports!)
Enjoy the US while you are it. If you get bored and want to go somewhere else, lemme know - Mixxxxxxxx is hiring! And I'll ensure I am on the panel that interviews you :P

Vee Shall said...

Awesome blogs...! I actually skipped the latest one, thinking you have just copy-pasted some professional entry from some place (yeah, even though you mentioned that it was YOUR entry) But, then, I am that Smart Aleck that you might meet during the interviews :))

Smi said...

Vee Shall - Thank you Thank you!:)
Wow, you skipped it, yet judged it. Wish you were the judge in that competition :)